Monday, March 1, 2010

Chile Earthquake

Hey everybody!

I'm sure that by now you all know about the 8.8 earthquake that hit Chile 2 days ago. We live in the very northern tip of Chile, so we did not feel it. PTL! But we do have many, MANY friends that live in the epicenter area. They are all well and safe, but a lot of homes were completely destroyed. Just looking at the news, I am shocked at all the damage that has been done to this beloved country. But it is amazing to see God's loving hand in each situation.. and how he has taken care of our friends and other missionaries there!
Usually, the place that gets hit by all the quakes is northern Chile (where we live), so whenever we see the news I'm like "that could've been us!".

I was just in Santiago (Chile's capital that got hit really hard) two months ago, so it is SO shocking to see the situation they're in! Lots of our friends live there, and I can't imagine what they're going through right now. Buildings are slanted and broken in half while there are people stuck in there struggling to survive, there is no water and people are dying of thirst (especially in the smaller, coastal cities), there is no electricity in many areas, grocery stores are being broken into and emptied of there contents because people have no food to eat, and it's all just awful. Many people know nothing of their family members, because all the phone lines are down. I feel so helpless to do anything, and I wish there was something I could do to help all these dear people! Even though I am so far away and helpless to do anything, God isn't! That's a very comforting thought. All we can do is PRAY! That is our part.. and we must pray!

In Arica, the city where we live, there were some tsunami warnings, but nothing happened. Even though we are far away, the earthquake is affecting us. My parents had to go to the grocery store yesterday, and it was FULL of people. My parents were shocked at the way people were stocking up on groceries. Boxes and boxes of milk and other supplies were being loaded into shopping carts, and then being purchased.
Factories in the south of Chile have been severely affected by the earthquake, and highways have been damaged and ruined, which means that pretty soon we might be running out of groceries to buy, since the super markets here rely heavily on imported merchandise. So you see, that's why people are buying groceries like crazy.

I don't know why such a terrible thing has happened, but I DO know that my God is good!.. and that His mercy is everlasting! I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds the future  =)  I know that we are safe in God's hands.

Please keep the people of Chile in your prayers!! There is SO much to pray about. My friend Sarah Beth, MK in Peru, has a friend in her church that has family in southern Chile, and he hasn't been able to get through to them, so doesn't even know if they're OK or not. Not only him, but a ton of others still have not heard from their friends or family members. Please pray that they would be filled with God's peace during this time!


Living In His Beauty,
Rebekah Bjur

3 comments:

Sarah Beth said...

Hey, the newspapers here have the quake news ALL over the front page. They say Lider is being trashed cause ppl are desperate to get food. They also said that ppl were taking tvs, etc. ?? True? If things get really bad just hop on over for a couple of days. : ) Praying for you guys!

LocaChica said...

Oh my goodness! I've been hearing all about the earthquake on the news and in the newspaper and stuff..I'm so glad you and your family are safe!! Reading this post made the earthquake a little more personal, or a little closer to home, reading a post by somebody who actually lives in the country. I will definitely be praying for all those who lost either loved ones, or possessions!
LocaChica

~Rebekah Bjur~ said...

Sarah: hey! no.. not here in Arica, at least. But it is true of Santiago and the surrounding cities. It's really sad that people are taking advantage of the situation like that. I mean.. I can understand food.. but TVs? refrigerators? lol


Thanks for your prayers, girls! We appreciate it so much!

God bless,
Rebekah